“Popping” a Champagne
There are about 70 pounds-per-square-inch of pressure in an average bottle of champagne.
Mishandling such pressure can cause severe injury. Here is a checklist for how to safely open a bottle of Champagne;
1. Remove the foil covering
2. Stand the bottle a rigid flat surface (a table for instance)
3. Get a towel. Keep one hand over the top of the cork with the towel between your hand and the cork. Untwist the wire cage and remove
4. Keep the towel on top of the cork with one hand and put your hand on the bottle at the point where you have a good grasp.
5. Turn the bottle-not the cork. You will feel the cork loosen a bit. Keep a downward pressure on the cork as it completely loosens and finally releases.
6. Hold the cork over the opened bottle for a few seconds to ensure the Champagne doesn’t escape
Pour slowly to avoid wasting your Champagne. The liquid rises quickly because of the bubbles.